Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer winding down

As summer draws to a close, I’m hoping that everyone had time to relax, unwind and enjoy some down time with their kids over the last few months. I worry, though, that perhaps the summers are getting just as hectic as the school year.

This article by Mitch Albom in Parade Magazine about kids and summertime struck a chord with me. I remember my summers on a farm when we didn’t have any activities scheduled. We helped with the hectic season of harvest and a bountiful vegetable garden but a lot of the time, my sisters and I were just kids playing together and hanging out.

My kids did a lot of the same as they were growing up. Summers were a different pace and so much time was just spent out in the yard playing with the neighbors. These days, it seems that everyone is on the go and there’s less of a change of pace. Kids and adults alike - we don’t get to slow down and change our rhythm.

What did you do this summer to make sure it felt like summertime for your kids? How do you help your kids enjoy the time away from school? Do you think they are getting the down time they need to just be kids? I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment